Playing aesthetically is a style of gameplay in OpenTTD. Players of this style prefer to build attractive networks, and may look to real life to provide inspiration for their in-game networks. Most players will use a combination of NewGRFs to increase realism further.
Aesthetic players might do some of the following:
- use NewGRF graphics depicting railway yards, ports and urban areas
- add extra roads or tracks in areas where they're not needed
- design network layouts that depict or resemble real-life examples
- tell stories about the development of their company, network or map
- provide information which is superfluous to success in the game, such as network maps or route guides
A lot of contributions to the TT-Forums Screenshot forum follow some of these methods.