When you encounter an obstacle, building a bridge might be a good solution. You can use them to build your railroad over a competitor's tracks, to make your road vehicles and trains cross lakes or to create crossover-free highly optimized railway junctions.
See Building bridges tutorial to learn how to build bridges.
Two types of bridges can be built:
- Road bridges
- Railway bridges
Bridges can be built:
- above flat land or over land sloped towards the bridge (no diagonal slopes underneath);
- above regular (full) water tiles;
- above regular and unmodified rail/road/canal tiles (same goes for constructing those under a bridge).
- starting and ending at different heights (no more than 1 level), given that the starting/ending tile is on a sloped surface while the other end is on a flat surface.
- above diagonal tracks and above tracks with signals (since 0.6.x series)