Comparison of AIs
Note: The information below is correct for the latest versions available through the online content system (as of February 2013), newer versions may be available on the forums.
|AI||Latest version||Last release date|
Below is a comparison of features. Please note that those AIs which aren't meant for running a transport company (Idle, IdleMore, StreetTraffic1, TownCars, TutorialAI and WmDOT) are discussed below.
|AI||Trains||Road vehicles||Aircraft||Ships||Passengers/mail||Freight||Save/load compatibility||NewGRF compatibility|
|Goes bankrupt frequently when NuTracks is in use|
|No NewGRF road vehicle support|
|NARS is the preferred trainset, works with the 2cc TrainSet and the default trainset|
|Problem with Japanese trainset.|
|Can only use non-articulated buses|
|No support for NewGRF railway track sets|
|No support for industry replacement sets|
* Trams are also included
² Might have unfinished routes
There have been some tests on the forums comparing the performance of the AIs. These threads include graphs and other screenshots, savegames are available for download.
AI testing threads on the forums: (with the most recent being on top of the list)
- October 2012, videos: Semifinals 1, Semifinals 2, Finals
- March 2011, May 2011, July 2011
- November 2010
- November 2010 - A train-only test
- October 2010
- September 2010
- July 2009, August 2009, February 2010, July 2010
There has also been a test on the CPU usage of particular AIs in May 2010:
See also AI:Test AIs - attempt to measure performance of various AIs.
- Idle - An AI that does nothing, keeping minimal permissible balance. Idle can be used for running multiple companies in a singleplayer game, using the company switching cheat.
- IdleMore - It is a fork of Idle which does even less work. Bank balance management is configurable, and it doesn't rename its company upon loading a savegame.
- StreetTrafic1 - It is a fork of TownCars, which runs cars in towns for eye-candy. It needs a car NewGRF to be present (like Generic Cars).
- TownCars - An AI which runs cars in towns for eye-candy. It needs a car NewGRF to be present (like Generic Cars).
- TutorialAI - An AI which acts as an in-game tutorial, introducing new players into playing OpenTTD. It is currently under development.
- WmDOT - An AI which connects towns with roads, without running any vehicles on them. WmDOT can be used to have a pre-built road network between towns. It uses ships to make some profit.