This FAQ covers questions about regular gameplay.
Main transport branches management
Other transport structures
FAQ by sss
Q: How do I get these monorails and maglevs? I tried clicking on convert rail and then click on the rail but it doesn't do anything!!!!
A: This is a problem I had too, what you have to do is click and HOLD on the rail button to select other rails. ALSO: the convert rail type is for converting the rail (lets say normal rail for eg.) To a Maglev lets say, so you select maglev track and then hit convert rail and then drag over your old rail.
Q: New trains aren't showing up!!!!
A: Use an other type of rail such as electric or maglev or monorail.
Q: The depot won't give me any electric rail trains!!!!
A: Make sure that you've selected the depot under the electric rail selection.
Q: An RV? Like a camper?
A: No RV stands for Road Vehicles.
Q: I have EGRVT'S and my horses are going one mph!!!!
A: go under advanced setting>Vehicles and set RV Accel. to original.
Q: WHAT THE???? my slow train going 140 mph is going faster than my plane going 300 MPH????
A: Set in advanced setting>Vehicles airplane speed factor to 1/1
How to make (good) profits
- Observe 'Cargo payment rates' (under chart icon ) to see what will give you good profit
- Search for large cities (in Town directory ) and/or industries that have greatest production (in Industry directory )
- Build long routes, try to keep them flat and without many turns (to maximize speed)
- Use 'Full load' in vehicle order
There is no cargo at my stations!
By default, cargo from industries is not delivered to stations until a demand exists. In other words, until you send a vehicle to the station for getting the cargo, none will appear. The reason for this behaviour is that it prevents you from getting bad ratings due to perishing of cargoes you don't want to transport at all.
In the advanced settings, you can switch between this behaviour and the case where all cargoes are always delivered to stations.
Why does cargo at my stations disappear?
That happens when you are not providing a good service to the stations. Below a tress-hold of the station rating, cargo perishes after some time.
To fix this problem, increase the rating. See also the answer to the next question.
How to maximize 'Local rating of transport service'
How to disable opening and closing of industries
A newer version for OpenTTD, 1.1.x (currently, nightlies only) is available as Manual Industries in bananas, the online content system.
Is it possible to use the operating system cursor instead of the sluggish OpenTTD cursor?
It is possible, with a few minor changes to the code, but at the moment there is no option for it. Alternatively, you might code a NewGRF to do it.
How do I relocate the main toolbar and statusbar, since it's 'centred' on a dual-display?
How to get expired vehicles back?
After 2050 vehicles expire, which means they are no longer available for you. That is really bad if you want to open a new service!
See the page Never expire vehicles on how to avoid that.
How long is a game day in real time?
One game day takes 2220ms (2.22 seconds) real time. A game year thus takes 810.3 seconds, or 13.505 minutes.
Why are my vehicles not serviced?
Make sure that:
- breakdowns are on.
- servicing when breakdowns are off is off.
- the depot is within 20 routing units from the path your vehicle is following. Note: This includes road crossings, signals and other obstacles.
How to get computer opponents (AIs) in my game?
Starting with version 0.7.0, the default computer opponent has been removed. As a replacement, you can now download opponents from the online content system, or even develop your own AI opponent! See
- The AI_settings page describes how to download and activate opponents.
- The AI:Main_Page describes how to program your own opponents.
How to disable trains reversing at signals?
My train is going in the wrong direction!! Why?
The path finder is quite clever in routing the trains. If they head off in a `wrong' direction, it normally means there is no shorter path. Some simple things to check:
- Missing track piece (maglev makes seeing that hard)
- Wrong track type/no electrification
- 90 degree curves disallowed but the only way contains them
- Difficulty options forbid reversing at stations
- There really is no way (check for detours due to servicing).
Why are my aircraft disappearing?
Big planes have a high chance to crash while landing at small or commuter airports. See also Aircraft#Accidents.