Waypoint is a railway structure which occupies 1 by 1 tile of a straight rail track. It operates in the similar way as buoy to be the checkpoint in the route orders of the train, meaning the vehicle does not stop at the waypoint when it reaches it, but simply passes through it as fulfillment to the orders. Like buoy, the reason to build the waypoint is that the pathfinding AI of vehicle in the game is far from perfect to determine the best path to reach its destination in a very complicated network, even after numerous attempts of perfecting the pathfinding algorithm. This leads trains to get lost from time to time.
Station can be itself used as a waypoint by issuing the "go via" or "go non-stop via" orders in the train's orders, if there is already a station on the midway of the train's route and you do not want to build an extra waypoint.
When to use waypoints
- Routing trains through a certain track.
- Make certain trains use a specific platform on a station.
- Detouring trains to relieve heavy traffic routes.
Waypoints force the trains to go through a certain track, giving the player more control over their vehicles.
How to build and schedule waypoints
- Build your route.
- Choose the waypoints button from the rail construction toolbar.
- Click on a straight piece of track where you want to build the waypoint. Alternatively multiple waypoints can be joined into one using distant-join.
Like building normal waypoints, click on the waypoint icon, and you will be presented with a GUI. Choose the style of waypoint you want, then click down on track as you would do normally.