8 way Star Junction
The 8-Way Star Junction is a large junction designed for more than four connections in one space. Whilst more complex than an 8-Way Roundabout, it is designed to take many times more trains simultaneously.
- Handle a huge number of trains at a time.
- Traffic jams are unlikely.
- Much simpler than multiple consecutive 4-way junctions.
- Trains have to slow down to climb slopes.
- Takes up a huge amount of space.
- Very complex and costly to build.
- Trains have to turn right to go left.
- Trains have to slow down for sharp turns.
- A stopped or broken down train will be disasterous.