Since version 1.0.0 OpenTTD, installation is simplified enough, the game is completely (play and graphics) open source; everything is included in the installer. To download the latest version of OpenTTD click here.
Currently, there are two sets of base graphics that OpenTTD can use:
- One fully functional set is located on the Transport Tycoon Deluxe (TTD) CD. As opposed to OpenTTD, TTD is not freeware;
- An Open Source alternative to the TTD base graphics called OpenGFX is currently finished. The OpenGFX base graphics set is for those guys not having the original TTD CD.
Select the installation instructions for the base graphics set you chose and your operating system:
(If you have access to the TTD base graphics and can't decide what base graphics to use, install the game using the TTD base graphics. OpenGFX can easily be installed afterwards. However, the easiest way is to install the game with all files from the start: TTD base graphics, OpenGFX, OpenMFX and OpenSFX files.)
Installation on Windows
Using TTD base graphics
1. Get Transport Tycoon Deluxe for Windows. If you don't have your CD, see Google. Note: The original graphics are copyrighted, it may be illegal (in some countries) to download them.
2. Download the Windows installer for OpenTTD from the downloads page.
3. Install OpenTTD. Chose the components OpenTTD and Copy data from TTD CD-ROM.
4. Tell OpenTTD where to find your TTD files; it should find them automatically if you used the TTD Windows installer, if not point it to the TTD CD in the drive.
5. Chose the folder in which to install OpenTTD.
6. Select the Start Menu folder in which you would like to create the program's shortcuts.
7. Select Run OpenTTD and click Finish
Using OpenGFX base graphics
1. Download the Windows installer for OpenTTD from the OpenTTD website.
2. Install OpenTTD.
3. Skip the step where the installer asks for the TTD files. Do this by unchecking "Copy Game Graphics" in the "Choose Components" menu.
4. Editing the config file
- 4.1. Locate openttd.cfg. It is located in:
Win XP : "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents\OpenTTD" Vista : "C:\Users\<username>\Documents\OpenTTD" Linux : "~/.openttd"
- 4.2. Open openttd.cfg using your favourite plain text editor.
- 4.3. Locate the [misc] section and add the following (or edit the existing) line to the end of that section:
graphicsset = "OpenGFX"
- The name of the base graphics set is listed in it's obg-file and may or may not be identical to the obg's file name.
- 4.4. Save the changes you made and run OpenTTD.
Installation on macOS
1 Get the macOS download for OpenTTD from the downloads page. The .dmg disk image is the recommended choice. A .zip archive may also be available.
2 Open the .dmg disk image or .zip archive from the download
3 Create an OpenTTD folder on your computer, and copy the files to it from the disk image or zip archive.
4 OpenTTD requires some additional graphics file, for which there are two choices: original TTD base graphics, or OpenGFX.
Using original TTD base graphics
- Get Transport Tycoon Deluxe for Windows or DOS. If you don't have your CD, see Google. Note: The original graphics are copyrighted, it may be illegal (in some countries) to download them.
- see below for what files need to go where.
Using OpenGFX base graphics
- Consult the OpenGFX Readme for further instructions.
5 Run OpenTTD.
Installation on Linux
- Within Software Center of your distribution (or Package Manager), pick OpenTTD
- Click install
You can now choose either OpenGFX graphics, or use original TTD graphics if you have a copy of original game around. OpenGFX is faster and prefered.
Choosing OpenGFX for base graphics
- Start the game
- In game main menu go to Check Online Options
- Check OpenGFX, OpenMSX, OpenSFX; press download, close window
- In game main menu, select Settings and make sure you are using three packs above
Choosing TTD for base graphics
- Get Transport Tycoon Deluxe for Windows or DOS.
- If you don't have your CD, see Google.
- Note: The original graphics are copyrighted, it may be illegal (in USA and some countries) to download them.
- Create an ~/.openttd/ directory and put them there.
Manual Installation from source on Linux
See Compiling on Linux.
Files from TTD
If you're installing OpenTTD with the TTD base graphics, OpenTTD requires several original game files from your Transport Tycoon Deluxe installation CD.
The following files are mandatory. You need to copy them to the /baseset directory, which is in your personal OpenTTD directory. These files contain the graphics and the sound effects:
Additionally, you may want to copy the original game music. To accomplish that, you need to copy the /gm/ folder from the TTD CD to the /baseset in your personal OpenTTD directory.
There are a few ways to get these files:
- Copy the folder and files from the TTD game CD to your OpenTTD /data folder.
- Unzip a TTD installation zip file, and copy the folders.
- Install TTD for Windows in another directory and then copy the folders.