A listen server is a OpenTTD network game Server that runs in the same process as the game client, allowing a player to both host and participate in the game easily. Listen servers have some limitations that Dedicated servers do not have.
Starting a listen server
Select Start server from the OpenTTD Multiplayer menu. You may now generate a new map, start a scenario or load a game. Singleplayer saves can be loaded for multiplayer and vice versa.
Configuring the server
There are 3 ways to change the settings of a running server:
- Use the graphical user interface, just like a single-player game. All server options such as Net frame freq aren't available this way.
- Use the console commands.
- With rcon. If the server sets rcon password, clients can also configure the server via rcon.
Differences between listen and dedicated servers
- Listen server runs in the same process as the game client, so at least one client is always in the game.
- Min active clients does not work on listen servers.