Main features of rolling stock: power, traction power, running cost and other.
- Cost - the monetary expression of value of one unit RS. Unit maintenance - currency (the ruble, dollar, euro and other).
- Running cost - maintenance costs (repairs) of one unit RS in one year. Unit maintenanc - currency (the ruble, dollar, euro and other).
- Maximum tractive effort - pulling force required when starting the locomotive from the scene, at a set speed and when driving on the most steep climb. Unit maintenance - kilonewton (кН).
- Power - one of the main characteristics that expresses the traction and speed characteristics of the locomotive. The power of the locomotive is the volume of completed locomotive works to spent on its execution time. The unit of power - horsepower (hp).
- Weight - the weight of one unit RS. Unit maintenance - ton (t).
- Structural speed of locomotive — the speed of the locomotive, set the allowable impact him on his way, running properties, traffic safety (prevention of derailments) and the strength of its parts. Design speed of the locomotive, as a rule, is the maximum admissible speed of its movement on the railway track, adopted as a model in the design of the locomotive. Unit maintenance - kilometers per hour (km/h).
- Designed - date of issue of the first (experimental) sample.
- Life - the exploitation period of one unit of RS. Unit maintenance - year (y).
- Capasity - the value of the capacity of one unit of RS. For example, the capacity of 61-4453 "coupe" couchette coach is 32 passengers.
- Max. reliability - reliability, durability, availability, maintainability, persistence, efficiency. Reliability fully characterizes the quality of the locomotive from the point of reliability. Reliability expresses the ability to maintain performance within specified hours (hours of work) without forced breaks.
- Type - classification of RS. For example, a freight locomotive, passenger locomotive.
- SMU (system of many units) - method of controlling rolling stock, in which one engages several train locomotives or motor railcars, a traction motor control is conducted with one control and one locomotive crew, is a special case of a multiple thrust. It is used on electric locomotives, diesel locomotives, railcar rolling stock, trams and trolleybuses.
- Produced of RS - date of commencement of serial production of RS.
- Builder - the name of the company that produces RS. For example, diesel locomotive 2TE25A "Vityaz" produced Bryansk machine works.
- Loading speed - filling weight of one unit RS.
- Capasity RS (car, automobile, vessel, plane, truck) — weight of cargo, which on the carriage the vehicle is designed; the basic operating characteristics of the vehicle. Unit maintenance - ton (t).
- Volume - overall size of the body of wagon, expressed in cubic metres.
- Cargo age period - magnitude of the loss of cargo quality.
Examples of characteristics of some RS are given in table:
|1. Diesel locomotive 2TE25A "Vityaz"|
|2. 61-4453 "coupe" couchette coach|
|3. 12-196-01 Gondola (4-axle)|