OpenTTD 的制作参考了克里斯索耶(Chris Sawyer)所制作的运输大亨豪华版，并在它的基础上做出了巨大的提升. 除此之外，很多灵感也由TTDPatch 而来. 你可以从这里看到OpenTTD与TTDPatch之间的比较 OpenTTD与TTDPatch间功能的比较.
- 多版本 - OpenTTD有Linux 版, Windows, Mac OS X, OS/2 等多个操作系统下的版本，目前甚至做了Android版.
- 铁轨自动建造工具 - 你可以在任何方向上拖动鼠标从而建造铁轨，电脑会帮你在所选定的方向上建造。
- 地图更大, 最大可达 4096x4096.
- 基于从谷歌地球上下载的地形高度数据制作出的高度图，提供了更为真实的场景。主页 http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=27052 以及最新的文档 http://www.tt-forums.net/download/file.php?id=92633 .
- 运河/水闸 - 允许玩家在陆地上建造运河，从而使船舶在其上航行。
- 车站更大 - 车站可以制作的更长，并能容纳更多的月台.
- 站台分离 - 同一个站点的不同站台之间可以有短距离间隔。
- Ability to join stations (of same width or length) - Building a station next to another station of the same type, width and lengths creates a single longer station.
- Waypoints (en) - A special piece of track which can be placed on branching routes to force a train to use a particular branch to reach its destination.
- Mammoth trains - Trains can be much longer.
- Multi-headed trains - Trains can have more than one engine to help increase the speed when carrying heavy loads, power up hills etc.
- Build on slopes and coasts - It's possible to build on the slopes of the coastline or hills; the relevant tile is filled to a flat height for a certain cost.
- Goto depot order - Allows insertion of an order instructing a vehicle to return to the depot.
- Longer bridges - Bridges can span greater distances... at a price.
- Higher bridges - Bridges can span over greater heights enabling more complex networks.
- Three new bridges - To enable greater use of the higher speed trains.
- Presignals (CTRL-click on existing signals) - As TTDPatch - special signals to aid building complex track layouts (usually used when there are many platforms connected to a single train line).
- Semaphores (CTRL-D to place them) - As TTDPatch.
- Order sharing and copying ("goto" on other vehicle to copy, ctrl+"goto" to share) - Vehicles can now share orders with order changes propagating to all vehicles, and orders can just be copied by clicking on any other vehicle to save time.
- TTDpatch-compatible Non-stop handling - Exactly as it says on the tin.
- Crossing tunnels - Tunnels may now cross over each other underground.
- Build many trees on one tile.
- Bribe the town authority - If your townsmen hate you, you can bribe the local authority to help you but it's expensive and runs the risk of you being caught.
- Much improved networking and internet play by TCP/IP, including server lists, kick/ban, dedicated server, cheat protection and chat.
- AI framework allowing for new, user made AIs. The old (cheating) AI was removed.
- Several new types of airport (metropolitan in 1980, international in 1990 and intercontinental in 2002).
- Drive-through Road Stops (en) - New kind of station for road vehicles. Much like a traditional real-life "bus stop", these new stations allow road vehicles to load/unload passengers and cargo simply by stopping by the side of the road.
- Tramways (en) - New kind of road vehicles (like bus) and require special tracks, stops and depots for them.
- Convert rail tool (to rail, monorail, maglev) - To enable you to easily switch your tracks to the latest technology.
- Build stations with drag & drop - Rather than guess at the size or count the tiles, just drag and drop the station over the desired area and it is built for you.
- Build while paused - An optional patch that allows building while the game is paused.
- Mouse wheel can be used to scroll in menus and to zoom in/out.
- Autoscroll (to left/right) - when you reach the edge of the screen, it moves across.
- Bigger demolish tool.
- Plant trees on area.
- Sell whole train by dragging to dynamite trashcan - Sells the whole train instead of just a single carriage.
- Cost estimation with Shift - Holding Shift on almost any action will show you how much it will cost you before you do it.
- Road and rail removing by dragging.
- Company HQ can now be moved somewhere else (cost 1% of company value).
- Autosave at a regular interval.
- Autorenew/replace vehicles that are nearing their end of life.
- It's now possible to remove a platform from a station by clicking on the station tool and then on the remove tool, then on the platform you want to remove.
- All TTDLX save games are supported (.SS1, .SV1, .SV2, .SV0, .SS0).
- High score table
- New pathfinding algorithm for trains.
- Landscaping (en).
- "No train service" option.
- Disable inflation option.
- Full load any option, as in TTDPatch - Your train will leave the station if ANY of its cargos are full.
- "Select goods (en)" option.
- "Multiple similar industries in close proximity" option.
- "Multiple industries per town" option.
- News item for "train is unprofitable".
- News item for "train is lost".
- Ability to set the starting date, takes a value on the form yyyy, yyyymm or yyyymmdd.
- Select what vehicle types the AI will build.
- Ability to choose snowline height.
- Change default servicing interval for vehicles.
- Change maximum number of vehicles per player.
- Option for percent-based service intervals. Send a vehicle to depot after it has lost X% of its reliability
- Screenshots can be BMP, PNG or PCX (select in game options menu).
- More currencies (including Euro introduction in 2002 and your own custom currencies).
- More townname languages.
- Windowed mode or fullscreen including resolution selection.
- Sticky windows (don't close unless you close them yourself) and snappy windows (windows align themselves against each other when dragged).
- Resizeable windows.
- Refresh rate configuration setting.
- Town directory sorting.
- Advanced Settings (en) configuration window.
- Use Ctrl-click to repay full loan or take out full loan.
- Color newspaper after a certain date.
- Game speed increase (through fast forward button or by pressing Tab).
- Plant a random tree type.
- Hotkeys for almost every action.
- Translations into a multitude of languages, selectable in-game at any point.
- Loading new graphics sets.
- Bring up an extra viewport showing any part of the map.
- Color-coded vehicle profits.
- Invalid orders in a vehicle's schedule are highlighted in red and generate a warning.
For details of every change, see OpenTTD (en)